Renewable Energy Strategy for leading high-tech agriculture machinery brand
Fendt is the leading high-tech brand within the AGCO Group, serving farmers with the highest demands for machine and service quality. Fendt tractors and combines are utilized globally on professional farms as well as in non-agricultural sectors. The resource-efficient and smart Fendt technologies support farmers and contractors in successfully and economically achieving sustainability worldwide. Across its German locations in Marktoberdorf, Asbach-Bäumenheim, Hohenmölsen, Feucht, and Wolfenbüttel, Fendt employs more than 7,000 people in research and development, sales and marketing, as well as production, service, and administration.
Without a strategic approach to mapping its renewable energy potential and implementing solutions, Fendt was implementing small, site-specific projects, but lacked broader internal alignment and a clear understanding of the impact on its progress towards decarbonizing its operations. That is why Fendt decided to partner up with act renewable.
The key challenge was to identify the overlap between the consumption and emission profile, the feasible technologies, that are available and match that with the short-, medium- and long-term priorities of Fendt for emission reduction and renewable energy use.
Fendt gained a competitive advantage in developing a renewable energy strategy that is not only well-informed but also custom-tailored to their specific needs and aspirations. Using the valuable business-specific input from the Fendt team, our comprehensive approach ensures a seamless alignment between market opportunities and Fendt’s corporate objectives.
Like other manufacturing companies, Fendt has a strong thermal consumption footprint. With these projects taking place under a looming energy crisis, the challenge to decarbonize becomes more urgent. Our experience has taught us to first tackle the lowest-hanging fruit amongst the hard-to-decarbonize use cases, and then align the short-term needs of the security of supply with a long-term decarbonization perspective.
Process & Roadmap
The project was delivered between April 2022 and September 2022 as follows:
- Analysis: Assessment of Fendt’s consumption and emission profile to identify the emission hotspots that needed to be addressed.
- Evaluation: Implementation of a gap-to-target analysis, evaluating different decarbonization pathways based on available renewable energy opportunities and their related risks.
- Prioritization: Aligning stakeholders on internal emission reduction targets, developing a corporate and site-specific roadmap to establish a timeline and analysing high-level business cases for the prioritized renewable energy opportunities in line with Fendt’s needs.
- A holistic, in-depth understanding of its renewable energy and emission reduction opportunities across its German production network.
- Key stakeholder alignment on Fendt’s renewable energy implementation and emission reduction approach.
- A tailored low-carbon roadmap embedded into a larger sustainability strategy for climate-friendly and resource-efficient manufacturing.